Detroit Loves You Guest Home, where YOUR Detroit Loves You Guest Home VISIT Transforms & Uplifts Detroit: 10% of revenue invested in the neighborhood!
We welcome you!
* Make sure everyone in your group reads the whole listing, including "Interaction with Guests" below. I'm happy to address any questions prior to booking.
* CHECK-IN: I will greet you personally whenever possible, usually weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 (the hours I work at the Guest Home most days), weekends by appointment.
* KEYLESS ENTRY: I'll provide you with the door and alarm codes to come and go as you please.
* PARKING: Ample free & safe street parking in front, where I park. It's also possible to park behind the house.
* CAR RENTAL / RIDES: Please inquire. $20 1-time fee +$5/hr, Silver 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback, automatic. Usually available most days until about 5pm/17:00. Rides each way: $40 DTW airport ; $10 Downtown / Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station.
* CHECK-OUT: Pending new guest arrivals, checking out any time is OK; please tell me your preferred check out time
* Privacy: only myself, the weekly housekeeper, and guests may access their rooms
* Parties: Posted rates are for the number of people entering the house regardless of how many stay the night. The final number must be confirmed before the day of check-in. No glitter, confetti, etc. allowed.
* Inquire about left/locked luggage service
WATER ROOM - sleeps 2-4+
Comfortable owner's bedroom next door to bathroom with walk-in closet, and desk & chair
Beds: Queen memory foam bed sleeps 1-2, full futon sleeps 1-2 & floor space for ~1-2
Privacy: Door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
AIR ROOM - sleeps 2-7+
This spacious 3rd floor/smartly finished modern attic bedroom features A/C, hammock, and pillow closet
Beds: 2 queen beds sleep 2-4, single mattress for 1, hammock for 1 & floor space for ~4
Privacy: Private door and soundproof stairs from 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps, inside stairs & private stairs / must bend down to enter room
EARTH ROOM - sleeps 3-6+
This small 2nd floor bedroom is new and includes
Beds: 2 full size bunk beds sleep 2-4, 1 full size pull-out trundle bed for 1-2 & floor space for ~1
Privacy: Door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
MORTON ROOM - sleeps 4-8+
This large 1st floor living room features a record player, decorative/non-burning fireplace, logs to write or draw on using provided wood burning pen
Beds: 4 queen sofa beds sleep 4-8, & floor space for ~1
Privacy: Sliding door to 1st floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you *become* part of the positive transformation that Detroit is experiencing. 10% of proceeds are donated directly to our Block Club and the nonprofit Community Development Corporation to benefit the Virginia Park Neighborhood. Additional funds employ Detroit resident, Linda, who partnered with the Guest Home in 2012. Remaining proceeds are invested in improving the Guest Home property, beautifying the neighborhood and benefiting future guests. Every bright spot makes a huge difference in Detroit's struggling neighborhoods. THAT'S why Detroit loves you!
Then there's what brings YOU to Detroit - let me know how can I help! I'm excited to welcome you and learn about what you care to share. Feel free to contact me any time with questions about the rooms, house, neighborhood, or city.
-Nathan, Your Detroit Ambassador
* Made in 1910, the Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
* Helpful notes about the home's quirks are posted in all rooms. Please read these as you encounter them.
* Rest assured the Guest Home is perfectly safe (monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, window guards) ... * Guests have access to all guest rooms and public areas of the house: kitchen, dining room, basement laundry, porch, backyard garden, etc. - all except my basement office and Gregg's under construction 2nd floor bedroom
* Clean bedding & towels provided
* Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network & password posted in guest rooms
* Bathroom - 2nd floor, cleaned professionally weekly, well maintained, shared
* Food - Help yourself to all unmarked foods in kitchen! (typically: staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, coffee/tea, etc. - enough to greatly assist self-catering)
* Appliances - Gas stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, hookah (please replace shisha & coals used)
* Laundry - Washer & dryer in basement
*Ask for access to the outdoor pool & Jacuzzi (late May to early September) and indoor gym & dry sauna (year-round) in a loft building east of Downtown [$50 deposit for key fob (replacement cost if lost) / car required to enter] ... I work from my office in the basement most days ~9am to ~5pm, and can be available for guests as needed. The Guest Home caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in the unfinished 2nd floor bedroom about half the time and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg is moving to Detroit from Chicago to design and build shipping ecological container structures and has been constructing Guest Home improvements since April 2013. ... Virginia Park is an old, authentic Detroit neighborhood; a quiet bedroom community named after the historic street 6 blocks south. If you are not used to urban living, its typically Detroit issues with abandonment and upkeep may appear off-putting. But the neighbors are very friendly, well used to the Guest Home, and happy to meet visitors. I encourage you to say hello to anyone on the street. That's the Detroit way!
* Peaches & Greens, 8838 3rd St - Fresh produce grocery 2 houses away owned by the amazing CDC (Community Development Corporation), featuring vegetables grown in the community garden across the street!
* Cafe Sonshine [sic], 8902 2nd Ave (1 block), CDC's hidden gem salt-free soul food restaurant 1 block away. The best place for authentic Detroit cuisine!
* King Cole Foods, 40 Clairmount St (3 blocks), Full grocery store, no alcohol
* Sam's Market, 760 Hazelwood St (across the street), Alcohol/snacks. Owned & operated by very friendly couple Rob & Gene, who moved to Detroit from Iraq in the '80s. ... The Guest Home is right in the heart of Detroit, just 4mi/6.5km to downtown along our main central road, Woodward Ave (first paved road in the US!), and under 2mi/3km to Wayne State University.
* Local Bus: Catch downtown/suburb-bound buses (#53) 24/7 on Woodward Ave less than 2 blocks away, connect to major routes at the Rosa Parks and State Fair Transit Centers. Fare: $1.50 adult ($0.25 transfer/senior/disabled), Free for up to 3 children under 44" with adult. Pass: $14 5-day, $14.40 1wk, $27.50 2wks, $47 1mo ($17 senior/disabled, $49.50 regional 1mo)
* Bus Stations: Mega Bus station @Rosa Parks Transit Center, 1310 Cass Ave (Downtown) also stops at Wayne State University on the Cass Ave side of the WSU Barnes & Noble @82 Warren Ave W (Midtown). Greyhound station @1001 Howard St (Downtown)
* Taxi: $2.50 +$1.60/mi. ~$10/10mins to Downtown Detroit, ~$35-45/20mins to DTW airport
* Car: 1 block to M-10/Lodge Frwy, connects to I-75, I-94, I-275, M-14, M-59 & I-96/696 in minutes
* Train - Amtrak station, 11 W Baltimore Ave (New Center, 9 blocks). 1-way fare/time: $6/20m Dearborn/The Henry Ford, $10/25m Royal Oak, $11/30m Birmingham, $12/1h Pontiac, $12-17/1h Ann Arbor, Toledo $15/1h, $18/1.5h Jackson, $24/2.5h Battle Creek, $27/3h Kalamazoo, $34/4h East Lansing, $51/7h Saginaw, $53/5h Flint, $58-72/2.5h Cleveland, $57-78/5.5h Chicago, $61/4h Grand Rapids, $61/6.5h Port Huron
* Airplane - DTW airport in Romulus 32km/20mi west of Detroit ... DEE-TROIT CITY...
History to hipsters, Motown to mashups, "ruin porn" to DIY culture, urban gardens and some of the friendliest people you'll meet outside of Polynesia – Detroit holds so much for you to discover! Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you recommendations for eating out, bars, clubs, art, nature, biking, Urban Exploration (UrbEx), insider events & more. Detroit is a city of contrasts. Its reality is sometimes stark, often artistic, and always expressed from the Heart. Come experience Detroit from the inside. Whether here for a day or the season, you'll soon feel the Detroit Love that drives us.
A Word About Safety...
People routinely confuse poverty with danger. Detroit's violent reputation is long outdated. It's as (un)safe for visitors as any other big US city, and like most it looks worse than it is. Downtown is incredibly clean & secure - more so than many of our flashy suburbs! I simply advise guests to exhibit street smarts (look & walk confidently, be aware of your environment, avoid unpopulated areas, use the buddy system, etc.) and remove or hide GPSs, chargers and other valuables in cars. Touch wood, neither myself nor any of hundreds of guests or their vehicles as ever had any issue with crime in my neighborhood.
Please familiarize yourself with the Cancellation Policy. In the event you need to cancel your reservation such that the policy doesn't allow for a full refund, I will credit you for the unrefunded amount toward a future stay. This credit is fully transferable (gift or sale) to anyone else - just let me know if you transfer it so I can update my records. Cancellation for any reason is subject to the above policies, including not having read the entire listing, or inability to see past Detroit's off-putting surface. ... ENJOY YOURSELF!
Make yourself at home. Let me know how I can help: $650-646-5482 cell/txt any time.
9am to 5pm (the hours I work at the Guest Home). I can plan on meeting you earlier. If arriving later contact me to make alternate arrangements - it may be possible to leave a key with a neighbor.
Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network / Password posted in guest rooms.
Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
All around the Guest Home, these short notes explain important house quirks & appliance instructions. Please read each when you see them.
In the dining room. Please use anything in them & leave useful info you pick up for future guests.
Please remove shoes when inside. This helps keep the Guest Home clean for all.
Feel free to smoke tobacco outside (please put all butts in the pot on the front porch). Smoking shisha in the hookah is allowed inside or out (please BYO or replace shisha & coals). Michigan's 2008 Medical Marihuana [sic] Act allows anyone with a card issued by any US state to legally medicate on private property with the owner's permission (permission granted inside the house, but not outside so as not to disturb neighbors). Under Detroit city law guests over 21 may possess under 1oz/28g on private property.
Please bring your well behaved animal companions - they are very welcome! It's just important that they not scratch or dirty the furniture and any accidents are promptly cleaned up. Note: pets only allowed in Air Room under direct supervision as they can damage the expensive soundproofing.
Please keep the sink & drying rack clear by washing dishes as you use them & taking clean ones from the rack.
Please ask before using. To save resources only run full loads. If you have less, I can always add bedding.
GRILL & OTHER APPLIANCES
Please ask before using. I’ll happily instruct you in their proper operation.
Pending new guest arrivals, any time is OK. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If someone is home leave keys on the dining room table. If no one’s home, put keys in an envelope (above alarm), set alarm & lock up as usual. Then put the envelope the in metal security door’s mail slot. Please make sure to return the same number of keys issued at check-in. A missing key may require the $95 security deposit to pay for new locks and keys.